Welcome to the Māori Support page. Here you can access Māori support networks who can help you during your tertiary study.
Māori Student Associations
Māori support groups are tumeke! They are run by Māori tauira for Māori tauira. These rōpū provide cultural and whanaungatanga support. It doesn't matter what degree you are studying, anyone can join. Fun activities like sports events and marae noho are organised throughout the year. Māori Student Associations are awesome places to make new friends, especially if you have moved to another town for university.
"Being part of Māori student association has been a huge reason for why I enjoy and succeed in university. We do heaps of stuff from sports to community involvement. Ngā Tauira Māori is my whānau at uni and they support me to succeed."
- Kingi Kake Snelgar,
2009 President of University of Auckland - Ngā Tauira Māori
Click on the links below to find more information about associations within these universities. Most universities offer associations for Māori support, so if you don't see your tertiary institution of choice on this list, visit their website.
- Massey University-MUSA
- Otago University - Te Rōpū Māori
- Otago University website - about Te Rōpū Māori
- University of Auckland - Ngā Tauira Māori
- Ngā Tauira Māori website -University of Auckland Māori student association
- University of Canterbury - Te Whare ākonga o te Akatoki
- University of Canterbury website - about Te Whare ākonga o te Akatoki
- Victoria University of Wellington - Ngai Tauira
- Victoria University of Wellington Students' Association website - about Ngai Tauira
- University of Waikato - Students' Union
- Waikato Students' Union website - information about the organisation
- Wintec, Waikato - Students' Association
** For Māori support within a specific career field, such as dentistry, check out our Career Profiles booklet and find your area of interest!**