Financial Support


This page is all about sorting out your pūtea. Here you can find information on the different ways to pay for your studies. If you're worried that you will be living off two minute noodles all year, then check out the living costs section under the Cost of Study page. It won't help your cooking skills but it will help with your kai bills! Read on to find out how to sort out your cash and costs when you are at university!


You don't have to endure the financial burden of studies alone. There are loads of scholarships available just waiting for you to apply! Scholarships are available from a variety of places like your university, your local District Health Board, your iwi, even the government!

What are you waiting for? Check out our scholarships database to see what you are eligible for. Don't just apply for one- apply for all that you can!

Student Loans

If you have to, you can apply for a loan from the government to cover your course costs and fees. This money will cover all your course fees. The best thing about it is that it is interest-free. Don't think of this as a loan, think of it as an investment for your future.

Living costs

Now that you've sorted your fees, you need to sort out some extra cash for your other costs. If you haven't got a part-time job and you're not living at home, you may need to borrow some money to get you through your year. All students are entitled to borrow up to $178.81 per week from the government to cover living costs such as food, rent and other bills. This money is paid directly into your account weekly. Kia tūpato! This isn't a koha! You have to pay this back. Everything you borrow will be put back onto your student loan which you start to pay back once you start working.

Living costs are paid from the beginning of the first semester (around March) to the end of the second semester at the end of the year (around November). You even get paid during the mid-term holidays and in between semesters.

Student allowance

You may be entitled to a weekly allowance. This is different from living costs, as you don't have to pay this money back. The amount you get in your bank is calculated based on your parents' combined income. The lower the income the more money you are able to receive. The amount of money you can receive varies depending on whether you have a part- time job. You can also get an allowance for accommodation costs if you are not living at home.

Visit for more information on how you can apply for any of these financial services.


For some of you studying for a health career may mean making a big shift and moving to another town. If you can't find a nice aunty's couch to crash on, then check out whether you you can stay on campus at the university of your choice. For all of you lucky others who can study and live at home, Kia Ora Hauora has one piece of advice for you - stay at home for as long as you can! It's way cheaper than moving out. Most tertiary institutes have information about what accommodation is available in their area. Check out the student services section of your tertiary institute for more information.

Voluntary Bonding Scheme

There are opportunities available for students studying medicine, midwifery, and nursing to join the Ministry of Health Voluntary Bonding Scheme. This initiative is designed to encourage students to work in areas where it's often difficult to find staff. Once you join the scheme, the government will give you regular payments to help reduce your student loan over a five year time frame. For more information visit the Ministry of Health website.

District Health Board Programmes

Some DHBs offer summer internships or positions as Health Care Assistants to university students to help them earn while they learn during their holidays. Check out our Regions page under the Contact tab for the DHB in your area to find out more information on how you could get some extra pūtea while you study. Don't forget to have a look at our Financial Support page to see other ways you can get financial assistance.